The Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS camera is designed for true outdoor fans
Pentax has a new outdoor camera line out, which includes the GPS-enabled [amazon_link id=”B004OBZ1OG” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Optio WG-1 GPS[/amazon_link] and the WG-1 rugged compacts. These new gadgets are tougher than the Optio W90 released last year, and are both designed to be crushproof against pressures of up to 100 kilograms (220 pounds), dustproof, waterproof up to 10 meters (33 ft), coldproof down to -10°C (14°F) and shock-resistant for drops of up to 1.5 meters (5 ft). It’s a camera line that is truly designed for the outdoors. Features-wise the 14MP cameras incorporate the same 28-140mm equivalent zoom lens, 2.7″ LCD and 720p HD recording capability as the W90.
Specifically designed for sport, it supports features like Face Detection, Smile and Blink, as well as digital image stabilization system. The camera can record video in 720p-resolution at 1280 × 720 pixels and 30 frames per second. There’s 100MB of built-in memory, and it has a slot for flash memory cards -SD / SDHC / SDXC and HDMI.
[amazon_my_favorites design=”2″ width=”250″ title=”Pentax Optio WP-1 GPS” market_place=”US” ASIN=”B004OBZ1OG, B005EWTKSM, B004MKNJEI” color_theme=”Orange” columns=”1″ rows=”3″ outer_background_color=”” inner_background_color=”” background_color=”” border_color=”” header_text_color=”#FFFFFF” linked_text_color=”” body_text_color=”” shuffle_products=”True” show_image=”True” show_price=”True” show_rating=”True” rounded_corners=”False”/]
An additional feature of this model includes a digital microscope mode, which can be used to get a “very” close-up view of objects that are too small to see with the naked eye. Ordinarily, when you bring a camera close to the subject, there’s not enough light to take the photo. However, the [amazon_link id=”B004OBZ1OG” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Optio WG-1 GPS[/amazon_link] uses five LEDs to enable close-up photography.
Another feature is the self-portrait mode. Many people want to take pictures of themselves with scenery in the background. When there’s one person in the frame, one LED flashes. When 2 people come into the frame, two LEDs flash….and so on. Five people: 5 LEDs. You get the sequence. When there are more than 5 people, the LEDs light continuously. This makes it easier to check whether everyone is in the frame.
The GPS feature allows you to record position data with your photos, and it also allows you to store position log data when you travel.
Size wise, the [amazon_link id=”B004OBZ1OG” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Pentax WG-1 GPS[/amazon_link] measures 114 × 58 × 28 mm and weighs about 160 g. You can buy these new gadgets, the Optio WG-1 GPS, for around $ 400, and the WG-1 without the built-in GPS-chip for around $ 350.
Check out the video and press release…
PENTAX ANNOUNCES OPTIO WG-1 AND WG-1 GPS DIGITAL CAMERAS
(GOLDEN,CO) : PENTAX Imaging Company has announced its 12th generation of adventure series digital cameras – the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and PENTAX Optio WG-1 GPS. Featuring outstanding waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, coldproof, and crushproof capability, these extra-rugged models take adventure photography to new heights (and depths).
The new and improved features on the PENTAX Optio WG-1 include:
- 14 megapixel sensor.
- Waterproof to 33 feet.
- Shockproof, ruggedized design to withstand falls up to 5 feet.
- New crushproof construction* to withstand weight force up to 220 pounds (100kg kilogram-force).
- Enhanced Digital Microscope mode that offers five macro LEDs for excellent macro lighting plus a detachable macro stand for steadier capture.
- Fast Face Detection technology, Smile Capture, and Blink Detection for portraits including a handy new Self-Portrait Assist mode perfect for facebooking and other social networking activities.
- Available with and without GPS, the WG-1 GPS functionality** tracks and records positional data recording with images for geo-tagging applications making it easy for users to check the shooting locations of captured images and link the data with PC-based maps.
Other important WG-1 features include:
- Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
- Dustproof protection for dry, dusty environments.
- Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
- Large 2.7 inch LCD features a wide angle 16:9 aspect ratio with anti-reflective coating.
- Video capture in widescreen 720p HD at 30 frames per second.
- Pixel Track and Digital Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images.
- An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus, even in challenging lighting.
- An HDMI port to play back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
- Infrared remote control compatibility with the waterproof Remote Control WP, as well as other PENTAX infrared remotes.
- Designed with the look of mountaineering equipment, the new Optios includes a woven web fabric strap in complementary color accents complete with a carabiner to attach the camera to a backpack and other outdoor gear.
- Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity for built-in Wi-Fi capability to transfer photos and videos from the camera to a computer or an online sharing site (Eye-fi cards sold separately.)
Priced at $349.95 USD, Optio WG-1 will be available in a choice of Black or Purple, while the Optio WG-1 GPS will be priced at $399.95 USD and available in Black or Yellow Green. Both cameras will ship in April 2011.
A waterproof infared remote control (sold separately) for use with the PENTAX Optio WG-1 and other infrared compatible Optio models is available now for $29.95 USD.
*Measured under PENTAX-original testing standards.
** GPS included only on the select WG-1 GPS model.