We have all been waiting to see what Apple has in store for the next major milestone in Mac OS X, and just now, at Apple’s “Back to the Mac” event, Steve Jobs has given us a preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. The big thing here, as Steve puts it, is the joining of OS X with the best features found in iOS. Here are some of the biggest features previewed in Lion:
- Multitouch gesture support
- App Store: Mac apps available in a centralized location with a payment system, 1-click purchasing, customer reviews, screenshots, etc
- Launchpad – app home screens for OS X
- Full-screen apps
- Auto-save and auto-resume within apps
- Mission Control: unification of full-screen apps, Expose, Spaces and Dashboard
Lion will launch in summer 2011, though no specific release date was provided. The Mac App Store will be available within 90 days, however, as an addition to Snow Leopard.