Hercules recently announced the newest version of their DJ Console line, the DJ Console 4-Mx, a professional DJ controller that features a large jog wheels, a built-in audio interface tailored for DJing for easy connection with existing analog gear, and an intuitive control over 2 and 4 virtual decks. Here is the release…
New York, NY – (September 30, 2010) – Hercules, a leader and pioneer in digital DJ controllers for computers, announces the newest version of their DJ Console line for Pro DJs, the DJ Console 4-Mx, an innovative and precise controller featuring large jog wheels (each equipped with touch sensor), a built-in audio interface tailored for DJing for easy connection with existing analog gear, and intuitive control over 2 and 4 virtual decks. Built for the ultimate DJ mixing performance, the DJ Console 4-Mx has intuitive and sturdy steel and aluminium crafted body with a wide variety of high-performance controls including 89 controls in 2-deck mode and 150 controls in 4-deck mode. Providing the ultimate portable solution for mobile and radio Pro DJs on the go, the edgy console fits easily into the club scene and will be available from November 22, 2010.
Jog wheels that change the mix
For all the scratching fans, the 2 large jog wheels have been designed just for you:
- 4.7” in diameter x ¾ “ in height jog wheels – similar in size to jog wheels used for scratching on CD players, these are ideal for DJs mixing on CD players to switch between mixing on computer and back, without changing scale
- Detection Sensors – featuring an integrated technology that’s as precise as it is reliable with sensors that detect the weight of the user’s hand on the jog wheel tops and that cause them to depress by less than 1mm, like on some CD players, or the felt mat on vinyl turntable. This mechanical type of detection in the controller works under all conditions and eliminates the kind of interference that can disturb electrical detection. An electrical touch sensor can be interrupted by static electricity, or by lighting truss systems, carpeting or shoes which electrically insulate the DJ.
- Backlit Indicator in the center of each jog wheel – (a handy visual effect) indicates the activation of “Touch Wheel” mode, which lets the user scratch, or stop/restart music playback by simply changing their hand’s pressure slightly: the feeling is as natural and intuitive as it would be on an actual vinyl turntable
- External Ring for additional control – In addition to manipulating the jog wheel via its upper surface, the user can also control it by its external ring: Hercules has carefully designed its width, non-slip texture and the design of its exclusive relief to provide a perfect grip
Sturdy and intuitive
With a body crafted of steel and aluminum, the DJ Console 4-Mx is sturdy and ready for intense mixing sessions, providing a genuine feeling (the feel of metal) for DJs.
- Portable Dimensions – 15.75” x 9.8” in size, it’s completely portable while still providing enough space for mixing with all of the controls that’s comfortable
- 3 clearly distinct sections – To make it very intuitive to switch between using analog DJ gear and mixing on a computer, the upper surface of the console is divided into 3 clearly distinct sections which reproduce a set of 3 separate mixing devices: 2 decks and 1 mixing console, distinguished by color (grey/black), feel (brushed/lacquered) and material (aluminum/steel)
The wide variety of controls on the Hercules DJ Console 4-Mx makes it the ideal device for DJs to showcase their talent.
- Multiple Controls – 89 controls in 2-deck mode and more than 150 controls in 4-deck mode
- The effects/loops/Hot Cue zone – 6 transport buttons can be doubled up using its Shift button while a rotary encoder lets you modulate these effects
- Control Customization Option – Customize these 12 controls, by assigning a function to each of the buttons, changing the bank of functions on the fly during a mix, and/or modulating the effects or the length of a loop
- Pitch Faders – provide extended 14-bit resolution, a 2.5″ range of travel, a 60mm range of travel, and easily adapt to the DJ’s needs thanks to 2 buttons to change the pitch scale
Built-in audio, for perfect fusion with DJ gear
With 20 years of expertise in digital audio, the Hercules team has designed a built-in audio interface dedicated to the needs of DJs – for mobile, radio or club use.
- 2 independent stereo outputs on the back panel, for mixing and previewing tracks:
- 4 RCA connectors to connect a hi-fi system or a mixer
- 4 mono jack connectors (1/4″) to connect PA gear, with a Ground Lift switch on outputs 1-2 (in the event of a ground loop)
- 1 stereo jack connector (1/4″) for headphones, with the user’s choice of one connector on the top of the console, or one on the front panel
- 2 analog stereo inputs (4 RCA inputs) to connect audio sources:
- 4 input levels: phono level (for vinyl turntables), consumer line level (-10dBv, for MP3 players), pro line level (+4dBu, for studio gear), and boosted pro line level (+8dBu, for the most powerful DJing CD players)
- 1 microphone input, with talk-over function, with the user’s choice of one connector on the top of the console, or one on the front panel
2 modes: mix on 2 or 4 virtual decks
With the Hercules DJ Console 4-Mx, DJs can control either 2 or 4 virtual decks – a growing requirement in professional DJing.
- 2 Standard Decks – the DJ Console 4-Mx can switch from (decks A and B) to two other decks (C and D) easily via the 2 Deck Switch buttons and deck names are displayed in the console’s mixing section and all of its controls send and receive another set of MIDI commands, which lets the software know which virtual deck each command applies to
- In 4-Deck Mode– the console sends more than 150 different commands to the software
- Extra Controls and Customization – DJs mixing on 2 virtual decks can also enjoy a 2-deck extended mode: the Deck Switch buttons, which turn decks A & B into decks C & D in 4-deck mode, then double some controls on each deck, while keeping the deck’s basic controls unchanged (such as the jog wheels, Play/Cue/Stop buttons, and volume faders)
This new Hercules controller will be bundled with VirtualDJ®7 LE 4-Mx DJing software from Atomix Productions, a longtime partner of Hercules: the software’s graphic interface has been perfectly adapted to the console, allowing for mixing on up to 4 virtual decks on both PC and Mac®. The DJ Console 4-Mx is also compatible with other 4-deck or 2-deck mixing software (if the software is fully controllable via MIDI).
The Hercules DJ Console 4-Mx will be will available at an SRP of $449.99(UK SRP £399.99)
For more information on the DJ Console 4-Mx or to check out the entire Hercules DJing range, visit www.hercules.com
Digital core. Analog roots.™
Minimum system requirements
PC: 1.5GHz processor or higher, 1GB RAM, Windows® 7 / XP / Vista (32/64-bit), USB port, stereo speakers and/or headphones
Mac®: 1.5GHz processor or higher, 1GB RAM, Mac OS® 10.5 / 10.6, USB port, stereo speakers and/or headphones
About Guillemot Corporation:
Guillemot Corporation is a designer and manufacturer of interactive entertainment hardware and accessories. The Group offers a diverse range of products under its Hercules and Thrustmaster brand names. Active in this market since 1984, the Guillemot Corporation Group is currently represented in 11 countries, including France, Germany, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Belgium, Holland, Hong-Kong, Romania and Italy, and distributes its products in over 30 countries worldwide. The group’s mission is to design high-performance and user-friendly products to improve the satisfaction of users of interactive digital entertainment solutions. www.guillemot.com